BlockCAD is a freeware program for building virtual models with Lego-like bricks. This is not a full CAD program, the pieces can only be placed studs up and rotated in steps of 90 degrees. It is impossible to draw pieces that are partly inside other parts, which excludes almost all of the Lego Technic line, but there is still a lot of fun to use it.
BlockCAD is a mixture between an application and a game in which you can play around with Lego pieces and built anything you can think of. It includes hundreds of Lego pieces in all shapes and sizes, with customizable colors as well.
All you have to do is drag and drop them on the main window and arrange them on the working surface in order to build your personal Lego creation.
The program is very intuitive, and it looks like a combination between 2D painting and 3D modeling programs. Like with real-life Lego kits, you can start with a base.
Just need to choose a block from the right hand menu, and drop them onto the base. There are arrows at the top and bottom of the screen that let you turn the design, so you will see what it looks like from any direction.
There are software features:
- has function to choose the colors, sizes, and shapes for most blocks, making them large or small, sloped, or even round in some cases;
- creates some new shapes of your own, save the designs, and print them out to show others;
- includes unique that you can use to build little Lego people, it is great for designs that look better with people in them, such as a car or an airplane;
- allows to turn off the "studs", those little round pegs that let the blocks stick together, making your design look more like a normal drawing;
- has advanced tools such as adding shading to individual blocks, or adding background to your design from any picture you have.
Overall, BlockCAD is a modeler's dream come true, and a must-have for all Lego fans. Be sure to visit the official BlockCAD gallery to see amazing pictures of models people have created with the program.
Windows XP / Vista / 7 / 8